Local play (Stadium)
Party play mode allows you to join or host a game on a LAN (local area network) server or play with several people on a single computer.
In a local area network
In order to create or join a game with a LAN server, choose 'Party play' from the main menu, then 'On a local area network'.
Create a server: click on 'Create' in order to create a server. A new window opens up allowing you to specify the name of the server and the settings such as the maximum number of players, or the game mode.
The different game modes:
- Rounds (Per round): all players start at the same time. The first to cross the finishing line wins the race. Each time you end the race among the first, you win some points. The winner is the first to reach the points limit determined by the server.
- Time Attack (against the clock): in this mode which is very similar to the solo mode, the players must record the best time within a set time. It is possible at any time to restart the race in order to improve your performance. In this mode each player’s time is displayed in real time each time a CheckPoint or the finishing line are crossed.
- Team: the players are split into two teams. The rules are those of the 'Rounds' mode. At the end of each round the points of the players, who are part of the same team, are added up. The team which has the most points wins the round and scores 1 point. The results of the Team races do not count for the ranking.
- Laps: the maps of this game mode are loop tracks. You are able to either set a maximum number of rounds or a time limit. When a player achieves the maximum number, he/she wins the race. On the other hand, for the time limit rule, the player having passed the most CheckPoints within the set time wins.
- Cup: the Cup mode offers a series of races on different tracks. When a player finishes a race among the best players of the ranking, he/she wins points which are added to the total of his/her points. The first three players to reach the number of points specified by the server will take part in the final. The winner is the one who wins the final.
- Script: thanks to the Script mode, you are able to create your own game modes with the rules of your choice.
N.B.: Some servers offer a warming up time in order to familiarise yourself with the maps.
Join a game: you need to select a server from the list offered and then connect to it.
In a local area network and in online game mode, two new interface features appear:
- Chat: press the 'Space' key in order to type a message, then 'Enter' in order to send this message.
- Server ranking: this zone displays the ranking in real time of the players on the server.
The HotSeat allows several players to play in turn on the same computer. Two game modes are available:
Time: each player has a time limit in order to record the best time on the map. Each player must firstly record a first time. The player having recorded the worst time must improve his/her performance until he/she beats another player. If he/she does not beat another player, he/she is eliminated at the end of the allotted time.
If eight players are selected, they must record a time in turn. On the left of the screen, an hourglass is displayed for each player. Each player’s time bar diminishes when the player plays until his/her elimination, if he/she has no more time.
The round ends when there is only one player in the event who still has time left in order to compete.
Attempts: just like in the ‘against the clock’ mode, the player who records the best time on the track wins the game except that the time bar is replaced by an attempt bar. Each player therefore has a limited number of attempts in order to record a better time than the other players. This number of attempts is specified when the game is created.
At the start of a race in Attempts mode, each player records one lap. The player with the worst time must attempt to beat the time of the other players with the attempts limit which has been set to him/her. The last player left in the race wins the game.
Create a Hotseat game:
- Settings: choose the 'Time' or 'Attempts' game modes and define the time or attempts settings.
- Players: select the participants in the Hotseat. Click on a free slot in order to add a player. The profile window opens. Here you are able to create a new player profile. Then click on the name of the player who wishes to take part in the game in order to add him/her. Up to 8 players are able to take part in the HotSeat mode.
- Choice of tracks: choose the tracks on which you want to compete from the folders available: official tracks, my circuits, downloaded tracks. Once your selection of tracks has been made, you are able to save it as a playlist.
- Play: click on the 'Play' button in order to start the game.
In this menu you can play up to 4 on the same computer. You can choose the way where the screen is divided for the players (only for the two-players mode).
The players are free to use the gamepads plugged on the computer and the keyboard.
Ingame the mode works like the Round mode for the point counting.
To know more about the Local Network mode, please go to the dedicated wiki page.