Frequently Asked Questions
N.B.: work in progress.
On which plateform TrackMania² Canyon is available
TrackMania² Canyon is available exclusively on PC.
What's the system requirements of TrackMania² Canyon
- OS: Windows XP/Vista/Windows 7
- CPU: Intel Pentium® or AMD @ 1,5 Ghz or more
- RAM: 1 GB
- HD: 1.5 GB of free space
- Video: 256 MB Video Card with Pixel Shader 2.0 or Intel HD Graphics 2000, Nvidia ION or AMD * HD 6310
- Drivers: DirectX® 9.0c with video drivers
I want redownload the ManiaPlanet client
If you want to redownload the ManiaPlanet client, go to your Player Page and click on "Account" then on "Downloads". You only need to click on the "TrackMania² Canyon" button on the page.
I have lost my validation code
Please refer to this page to generate a new validation code.
I need support about my account
How to configure your firewall for use with ManiaPlanet
A software firewall is an application installed on the computer or provided by the Operating System that actively blocks communication between the computer and the internet. ManiaPlanet/TrackMania² Canyon requires TCP ports 80 & 443. Important note: Modifying your firewall settings may reduce the security of the computer it affects. Most of the dedicated servers use ports in the 2350-2450 and 3450-3550 range, for both TCP and UDP.
Here is the exact information:
TCP test.nadeo.com:80 points to google.com, used to test Internet connectivity TCP game.maniaplanet.com:80/443 TCP mp01.maniaplanet.com:80/443 TCP mp02.maniaplanet.com:80/443 TCP mp03.maniaplanet.com:80/443 TCP mp04.maniaplanet.com:80/443 TCP files.maniaplanet.com:80 TCP files2.maniaplanet.com:80 TCP files3.maniaplanet.com:80 TCP scores.maniaplanet.com:80 TCP maniahome.maniaplanet.com:80 TCP menu.maniaplanet.com:80 TCP maniapub.maniaplanet.com:80
Why do I have some difference time when i touch a command and the reaction ingame (i.e lag)?
The primary cause of lag is to play on a server which is located very far of your location (for example you try to play in France on a server located in China). You will usually notice lag when you try to turn right or left and you have one second or more between your action and the result on screen, it's also visible when you see your car which . Another cause of lag is high latency.
Network card issues.
There are several drivers that, if out-of-date, could cause issues for broadband users. If you need more help in locating drivers for your hardware or finding the settings listed, please contact the hardware manufacturer or a qualified technician.
- If you access the internet through an external broadband modem, be sure you have the latest firmware and drivers available for your modem.
- If your computer connects to the modem via USB, be sure you have the latest drivers for your motherboard or your USB PCI card.
- If your computer connects to the modem via Ethernet, be sure that your network card has the latest drivers installed.
- If you have a power management tab in your network card properties, click it and unselect the "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" if selected.
Configure your Firewall and/or Router
Firewalls and routers are designed specifically to control your computer's incoming and outgoing connections. You may need to set up these security features to allow access to the game servers. If these are not set up correctly, the firewall or router may prevent you from connecting to TrackMania² Canyon. Simplifying your connection (temporarily removing your router, for example) may reveal the source of the problem.
Testing your Connection and Performing a Trace Route
Running a Trace Route will track each step of your internet connection to TrackMania² Canyon, and can help identify if and where connection problems may be occurring. Please see this page for instructions on doing a Trace Route test
A dialog box indicates that the file D3D9.dll can not be found
If the file D3D9.dll is missing, you need to install Microsoft DirectX version 9.0c or higher.
You can download it from Microsoft's official website: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=128945 (click Get the Latest DirectX Here).
The game crashes when I move the mouse
In the launcher, click Configuration > Advanced > Compatibility and check Emulate cursor. Click OK twice and Save. When the cursor is emulated, its reaction time will be slightly slower.
The game has display problems
Always get the latest drivers of your graphics card from the manufacturer’s web site. Compatibility and performance issue are regularly corrected.
- ATI: http://ati.amd.com/ (Click Drivers & Software).
- SIS: http://www.sis.com/ (Click Download, Latest Drivers then SiS UniVGA3 Graphics Driver).
- nVidia: http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp
- VIA/S3G: http://www.viaarena.com/ (Click Drivers then select Microsoft Windows).
- Intel: http://support.intel.com/support/ (Click Download Center then Graphics).
Laptops can cause problems since most graphic chips manufacturers (including ATI and nVidia) don't support them in their drivers. Laptops often use proprietary drivers (supported by the assembler, but rarely updated). For ATI cards, you can try to download the OMEGA drivers at http://www.omegadrivers.net/. Some other, more complex manipulations can help: disable Fastwrite in the advanced properties of your card, reduce AGP aperture to 64 Mo, set AGP to 4X. Some display problems are linked to advanced functions (shadows, reflections...) that you can disable in the game's launcher.
The display is very slow
The display speed depends mostly on the display options that can be reduced to gain performance.
From the launcher, click Configuration to access the display setting dialog box. Try to reduce the resolution. The full screen mode is usually faster than the windowed. Set the graphical quality to « Best performance ».
For even more performance, you can set the graphical quality to « Custom » to access advanced display configuration. The minimum settings are: Shader quality == PC0, Texture quality == Low, Antialiasing == None, MaxFiltering == Bilinear, Shadows == None.
In the game settings, you can lower the quality of the opponents. The sound may also cause lag on some machines (set in the audio settings).
I have a 0xc150002 error code at launch
You have to download and install the latest Visual C++ Redistributable Package
I have another technical issue with one of the ManiaPlanet titles
If for any reason you do not find the answer to your question, you can click on the Ask a question link in the FAQ to send them an email, ensuring that they get all the important information on your system and your problem so they can answer correctly the first time.
I registered for the Beta on the official site but didn’t receive my key. Why have other people received their key?
That’s normal, we sent the invites chronologically from the time players registered for the Beta. Several waves of invitations will be sent through the coming days/weeks.
Apparently I received a key valid for only 7 days. Does this mean the beta last 7 days and that the game will release after? Am I able to extend this period?
The key that you’ve received is valid for 7 days from the day you use it, you have until 31th July to use it or it will be deactivated. The Beta will last more than 7 days but we wish that every player registered to the Beta have the opportunity to test ShootMania Storm.
To extend the access to the Beta, you can preorder the game to get an unlimited and permanent access to the Beta.
The key has an expiration date?
You can use your key until the 31th July.
Where can I download ShootMania Storm?
A unique download link will be sent to you by GamesPlanet, use the promotional code given to you by email on the website:
I can’t buy the game/beta access on the GamesPlanet shop.
Maybe you're on the Beta pass website, please go on this this link
My Alpha login doesn’t work with the Beta!
For the Alpha we used a masterserver different from the one use for the regular ManiaPlanet players (playing on TrackMania² Canyon). With the launch of the Beta we have decided to bring the TrackMania and ShootMania players together and to use the regular masterserver.
If you don’t have a ManiaPlanet account, please create a new one to be able to play (which will be used for all the ManiaPlanet titles).
I don’t have access to the ShootMania Storm or the Titles Pack Joust, Elite & Heroes!
If you have a TrackMania² Canyon account, you only need to add the key through the Player Page: http://player.maniaplanet.com (“Account” -> “Player keys”). You’ll have the possibility to load ShootMania Storm in one of your stations at the next launch of ManiaPlanet.
Once you’ve download ShootMania Storm, if the Joust & Elite titles are not present in the titles list, you only need to restart ManiaPlanet to make them appear. Then you can load Joust or/and Elite in a station.
What are the official game modes in ShootMania Storm?
Actually there are 8 officials modes developed by Nadeo for ShootMania Storm:
- Melee : Free for All, the player has a certain amount of hit to do to win the map
- Royal : A survival Free for All, where the aim is to be the last man standing at the end of the round. It’s possible to activate a sphere which will shrink the playing field via a pole which is generally located at the center of the map.
- Battle : It’s a team-based pole capture mode. The goal is to capture the poles of the opponent team or to have the highest capture rate at the end of the timer to win a round.
- BattleWaves : Variant of the Battle mode. From the moment where a player starts to capture a pole, a timer of 15 seconds begins for the offender team. The poles can be captured during the time. At the contrary, if the team in defense succed to push back the offender during the 15 seconds they can capture the pole of the opponent team.
- Time Attack : The goal is to arrive to a pole located somewhere in the map by passing all the checkpoints as quickly as possible. The player with the best time at the end of the time period wins the map.
- Elite : a 3 vs 3 mode. On the field there is an offender equipped with a laser gun (can eliminate an opponent in one hit) with 3 armor points, must survive 45 seconds against 3 defenders equipped with rocket launchers (one armor damage per rocket). Once the time expires, he has 15 seconds to capture the pole or eliminate the 3 defenders (he can also do it the 45 first seconds) to win the round.
- Heroes : a 5 vs 5 mode. The offender team is composed of 4 players with the laser and one with the Nucleus. They have all one armor point. The goal of the offender team is to capture one of the poles presents on the map before the end of the 15 seconds after the first 45 seconds (as Elite), but only the player with the Nucleus is able to do this. Important note: the Nucleus still must capture one of the pole even if all the defenders players are eliminated. The goal of the defender team is to eleminate the player with the Nucleus. The first team with 10 winning rounds wins the map (by defender).
- Joust : 1 v 1 mode. Players have limited ammunitions. They have to touch one of the poles present in the map to reload their weapons. To win a round, a player must hit his opponent a certain amount of time.
Yet several game modes have already be created by the community!
What’s a station?
A station is the place where you can load a Title (like Joust, Elite and/or Heroes) but can be many things like a graphic mod, a campaign (collection of maps), a minigame created with the ManiaScript and more.
You can unload a station by pressing the “Del” key on a station but note that you can’t unload a major station like TrackMania² Canyon and ShootMania Storm. The working is like a DVD drive :)
Do i have to paid to get Joust, Elite and Heroes modes?
These modes are delivered for free with ShootMania Storm. Once you have access to ShootMania Storm, you’ll find the Titles in the carrousel (by pressing the “Page Up” key in ManiaPlanet, you’ll maybe have to restart ManiaPlanet to display them if you have registered a ShootMania Storm key ingame).
How can I create a dedicated server for ShootMania Storm (or TrackMania² Canyon) ?
Elite Guest Access
What is Shootmania Elite?
Elite is the team based [3v3] competitve game mode in ShootMania Storm. Rounds are based on an attack/defend structure, with the goals being to either capture or defend a point, or to eliminate the player(s) on the other team.
ShootMania Elite is the game mode of choice for eSport competitions.
Is Elite really free?
Yes. The only thing you need is to find someone willing to send you a Guest Access key to be able to download and play ShootMania Elite - for free!
What is a Guest Access Key?
A Guest Access Key is a special key that any ShootMania Elite player can generate in-game for free.
Are there restrictions when playing the free version of Elite?
There are some restrictions based on your level of Guest Access. For a complete list of restrictions, can check the related news about it.
What are Planets?
Planets are the in-game currency that you can earn by playing ManiaPlanet titles (i.e. you can't buy them). Planets are used to buy certain in-game items like horns, avatars, skins, maps, etc..They’re also used to setup servers for higher skilled players, or to play minigames.
For guest accounts, you earn a maximum of 300 Planets each day that can only be used in the matchmaking system.
Regular players earn 50 Planets per day per ManiaPlanet games that you can spend in any way you want. Moreover you earn 5000 Planets when you register a ManiaPlanet game (TrackMania² and ShootMania).
Why can't I play more than three times in Elite with my account?
If you use a Guest Access acount, you are limited to three matches a day to play. You can add more matches if a regular player send you Planets, or if you are in a super guest access account (unlimited play).
Can I upgrade my Guest account into Super Guest ?
Yes you can! You only need to insert the Super Key in your Player Page.
How can I obtain a Super Key?
Players having a purchasing account can send Super Keys to their guests. So you have to find someone who is ready to give you a Super key. Their cost is 5,000 Planets that are once given back to players who provide you with a key when you buy the game.
How can I remove the restrictions?
You only need to purchase the game to remove any of the Guest level restrictions. This will also give you full access to all of the ShootMania game modes, customization options, map making tools - and much more! The game is available on Steam, uPlay, and through the ManiaPlanet website.
Once you have purchased the game, you can enter your key by clicking on the Elite Station, and than selecting the “Enter a Key” option.
I downloaded the game from Steam. How do I launch the Shootmania Elite? With a Steam purchase, you have to download the game through Steam, launch it and connect to your ManiaPlanet account, the key will be automatically added to your account.
How can I play with my guests in the same team?
First you have to invite your guest as buddy. Please look at the maniaplanet article to know how adding a buddy.
Secondly when you are in the lobby, click in the live chat to set one of your buddy as ally. If he sets you as ally too, the system will automatically make a team with you and your ally. In elite, if 3 players are all allies with each other, you can play as a team for sure.